Friday, September 23, 2011

Save or Splurge: Skin

Here's the next installment of Save or Splurge.  It was going to be the last, but I am also going to extend this theme to brushes and skincare.  Be on the lookout in the future


Primer:  SPLURGE

I have only found one okay primer in the drugstore range (Rimmel's Fix and Perfect), but it didn't work as well as the ones from Sephora and MAC that I had.  How could I tell?  My skin oiled up about two hours faster with the Rimmel than with my tried-and-true Smashbox Photo Finish.  Revlon has a primer out that I did not like at all.  It made my skin itch and it flaked.  Main point is, my higher-end primers kept my oily skin in check with fewer touch-ups than drugstore.

Splurge:  Smashbox Photo Finish and MAC Prep + Prime
Save:  Rimmel Fix and Perfect, Hard Candy Sheer Envy

Foundation:  Depends, but I prefer Splurges

I love my high-end foundations, but like mascaras, makeup companies are cracking down to making better formulas.  I still find that they are not as pigmented as more expensive foundations, so I have to layer more makeup from the drugstore lines.  The higher-end products can cover my face with about two pumps of product and the colors are very forgiving, unlike many drugstore foundations that you have to match or else you look pale or orange.

Splurge:  Any Chanel (depending on your skin type), Makeup Forever HD
Save:  L'Oreal True Match, Maybelline Fit Me

Tinted Moisturizers:  Splurge

Tinted moisturizers are my favorite branch of foundations because I don't need a heavy mask of makeup.  Higher end tinted moisturizers tend to last longer and have enough coverage to even out the skin.  Most of the cheaper products just disappear on the skin and make no difference on the skin whatsoever.  They do smooth out the skin, they just don't even out the skintone as well as the higher-end.


Splurge:  Laura Mercier, Josie Maran
Save:  Hard Candy, Neutrogena

Powder Bronzer:  Save


This is one product that I do not use much because I don't look natural with any tan on my face, but I still try products because I like to look sunkissed sometimes.  Sometimes.  From the products that I have tried, I have not seen a difference between expensive or cheap powder bronzers.  Some are shimmery, some are matte, some are loose powder, some are pressed.  If I see no difference, I will always suggest the cheaper.


Splurge:  BeneFit Hoola and One Hot Minute (FAVORITE!!), NARS Laguna
Save:  Any bronzer in the Physician's Formula line, Sally Hansen...Carmindy, Neutrogena

Cream Bronzer:  Either


This type of bronzer is different from its powder counterpart.  It blends more into the skin and looks a lot more natural because of that.  The colors can come out stronger because of this, though, so some people stick with powders.  From what I've tried from samples of high-end and drugstore, each of their cream bronzers have distinctions but neither is better.  It's just a matter of taste.  If you want a satin/matte finish, go for high-end.  If you want shimmer and glitter, go drugstore.


Splurge:  Chanel Soleil de Tan, NARS
Save:  Maybelline Mousse


Powder Blush:  Either


Again, this is personal preference as far as what you want out of a blush.  If you want a matte finish, high-end will provide.  If you want glitter/shimmer, drugstore brands do well.  Both can be very pigmented and drugstore formulations have improved so they blend without blending away.


Splurge:  Tarte, NARS
Save:  Sally Hansen...Carmindy, Cover Girl 


Cream Blush:  Splurge


In high school, I only knew of one cream blush and loved it- I wore it to both junior and senior prom.  It was Maybelline's mousse blush.  After I found out about higher-end cream blushes, I don't know how I could have liked Maybelline as much as I did.  They blended better, looked more natural and I didn't have to use a ton to get color.  I don't know if Maybelline has improved the formula, but I really don't want to go back.


Splurge:  Urban Decay, NARS
Save:  Maybelline, Revlon

Cheek Stain:  Either


What this boils down to is the formula that you want, since they all provide a nice flush of color.  If you want a water-based or stick-gel, go high-end.  If you want a gel or stick-cream, go drugstore.  There are pros and cons for both.  The  high-end formulas tend to put out less color per application, but it makes layering color easy and it's hard to overdo the color.  Drugstore brands put out more color, so it's easy to use too much.  As long as you get used to the formulations, they will do what they should.


Splurge:  BeneTint line, Tarte, Sephora line
Save:  Pixi, Jemma Kidd, Hard Candy

Powder:  Splurge

You'd think that powder would be one of the makeup items that would be so easy to manufacture, drugstore brands would be just as good as high-end, but that is not the case.  In my experience, most drugstore powders have caked and went on patchy on my skin.  I was satisfied with drugstore powders in high school, but after finding some really nice powders at Sephora, I haven't been able to go back...except for costume makeup.  Airspun is a drugstore powder that works really well for costume makeup because it has a nice smooth, almost opaque finish.  Very good for stage makeup and drag queen looks.  Other drugstore powders are too opaque for me and cake up easily.  Some of the Sephora brands make really fine, translucent powders that don't mattify the skin too much.

Splurge:  Urban Decay De-Slick, Makeup Forever HD Powder, Laura Mercier Powder
Save:  Airspun Translucent Unscented


Setting Spray:  Splurge by default


Setting sprays are becoming more popular because they extend the life of your made-up face, feel refreshing, and make your face less chalky and more glowy.  For now, only high-end brands have made sprays.  Urban Decay has a line for all different types of skin, MAC has had its Fix Plus for years, and Kat von D has just come out with one.  I can say that Urban Decay's De-Slick spray works well.  It adds maybe an hour to my makeup and feels awesome.  It also works to break down a foundation that is too heavy so it has a more suitable coverage.  Mac's Fix Plus works well with more normal skin, not so well with me.  I've not tried Kat von D's.  I'm waiting to get a sample to try.


Recommendations:  Urban Decay, MAC

No comments:

Post a Comment