Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Save or Splurge: Eyes

One question that I wondered before experimenting with makeup was if higher end makeup was worth it. Why would drugstore makeup brands do so well if they were total crap? Through my few years of playing around with makeup and watching beauty Youtubers, I have my opinions on those matters. You may have different experiences and opinions, but here are my reasons to consider.


Pencil Eyeliner: Save

I used to think only expensive liners could glide easily on the eye, but makeup companies are making great strides in eyeliner. Most companies have gone with the cream pencil trend, which is brilliant and are making most expensive liners history for me. Maybelline is the newest to jump on the bandwagon and I've gotten to try the pencil. It's like butter for the eyes, but I haven't tested how long it lasts, so I will give more on that later. Two years ago, no cream pencils were in stores and all drugstore liners dragged like crazy so high-end was the option for me. If you want to use expensive liners, cool, but know that there are cheaper options now.

Splurge: Makeup Forever Aqualiners, Urban Decay 24/7 Liners
Save: Sally Hansen Natural Beauty Inspired by Carmindy liners, L'Oreal HIP, Milani

Liquid Eyeliner: Save

Liquid eyeliner for me has been save, save, save. I've only used high-end liquids when they were recommended to me because of their longevity. It's nice, but the cheaper ones have lasted long enough for me. The only difference that really affects the buyer is whether the liner comes with a brush or sponge-tip. My preference is sponge tips for more control and ease of getting a thin line, but that's just me. I'll put what applicators come with my recommendations.

Splurge: Urban Decay 24/7 Liquid, Makeup Forever Aqualiner Liquid (both sponge)
Save: L'Oreal Lineur Intense (sponge), Maybelline Ultra Liner (brush)

Cream Eyeliner: Either

Depending on how thick you want cream eyeliner, this can go either way. If you want more of a gel-cream for a lighter feel, go with high-end, if you want a thicker, more opaque cream, go for drugstore. Gels glide a lot easier across the eye and can be more subtle than creams, but they can layer easily. Creams can drag at times, but the color payoff is amazing- you don't need a second layer.

Splurge: MAC Fluidline, Clinique Gel Liner, Bobbi Brown Gel Liner
Mid-range (special for just this category): Femme Couture Gel Liner
Save: L'Oreal HIP Cream Eyeliner, Maybelline Cream Liner

Powder Eye Shadow: Splurge

Dont' get me wrong, there are plenty of lovely drugstore eye shadows, but they tend to not cooperate with my brushes- natural and synthetic bristles. Plus, most drugstore shadows tend to be shimmery and some have chunky glitter. To get a good eye look, you need matte and shimmer shadows, which high-end stores provide and then some. Most higher-end shadows have better color payoff and less fall-out.

Splurge: Makeup Forever, Lorac Ooh-La-Lace Palette, NARS matte shadows, YSL Palettes, Hourglass duos
Save: Maybelline Color Explosion, Revlon satin, Natural Beauty Inspired by Carmindy trios

Cream Eye Shadow: Splurge

This boils down to one factor: drugstore brands have not come out with a cream shadow that doesn't crease. Don't get me wrong- I love creasing, but most of the time I want my cream shadow to act as a base/primer for my powder shadows.

Splurge: BeneFit Cream Shadow/Liners, Makeup Forever Aqua Creams
Save: Hard Candy Eye-Def

Mascara: SAVE!!

Drugstore mascara gets a bad rap from being so awful in the past, but there are so many drugstore brands that do just as well as high-end mascaras, if not OUTdo them. Formulas have improved greatly, and this is judging from when I watched my mom use her Maybelline Great Lash and complain about clumping. That iconic tube has not changed, but the formula has evolved. All other drugstore makeups want to develop like the mascaras.

Splurge: BeneFit BadGAL, Makeup Forever Smokey Lash
Save: L'Oreal Voluminous (original), Maybelline Lash Discovery, Cover Girl Lashblast Fusion


I have broken this topic into three posts: Eyes, skin, and lips. I will add the other posts sometime next week. If you have any questions about this post or about any products/brands I didn't mention, please leave a comment or Facebook post. :)

Stay beautiful, no matter what your budget is!

-M

No comments:

Post a Comment