Wednesday, April 4, 2012

My Favorite Youtube Beauty Gurus

Even though I like to think that I do a good job with my makeup and make it easy for people to undertand how to use it, I know that my techniques are nothing compared to many of the Youtube gurus.  I look to them for inspiration and education.  Heck, if it weren't for Pixiwoo, I wouldn't be playing around with makeup at all.  Here are my five favorite gurus, and if you like what you see, subscribe to them!  Most of them put out videos every month and they have just gotten better with time.

Pixiwoo
They do everything from natural to dramatic looks.  The first makeup video I ever watched was Nicola's "Drag Makeup."   She made it look doable, so I decided to try my hand at it.  I ended up with a pretty scary drag look, but I was still so happy that I did it in some form.  I subscribed immediately and looked forward to Nic and her sister Sam's videos popping up in my subscription box.  They are the Jacks (or Jills) of all trades of the Youtube makeup artists.  They've done reviews, natural makeup, copies of celebrity looks, editorial looks, remakes of their own makeup designs from photo shoots, the list goes on.  They are still #1 of all the makeup gurus in my mind.

The video that started it all for me.



Gossmakeupartist
He is great for tips/tricks and makeup reviews.  I found out about him through Pixiwoo, either from Sam mentioning him or his video popped up next to a Pixiwoo video.  I'm not too sure, but no matter, I'm glad I found out about him.  He doesn't do many tutorials, he's more of the review type, but when he does a demonstration, it is magical.  My favorite of his videos is the Kim Kardashian/ Drag Queen concealer trick.  I tried it on myself and it may be my new go-to foundation/concealer routine- it looks so good!  His reviews are great as well.  He answers every question a viewer may have before they are asked, so viewers know if the product(s) he's talking about are for them.  Another thing I like about him is his passion for beauty- he sees beauty in everything and goes out of his way to find makeup suitable for every skin tone and skin type.

I don't see her appeal as a person, but I have to admit, her makeup is gorgeous.

Klairedelysart
As her name implies, her looks are on the artistic side.  She will be the first to say she is not a makeup artist, but if you saw her work without her telling you, you'd be fooled.  She is in school (for art, of course), so her videos don't show up as frequently, but she puts tons of effort into each video she posts.  I've actually gotten some great tips from her regarding rhinestones- how to group them so it adds something to the look without going gaudy and how to pick them up with ease.  She makes everything simple so even people with no makeup skills whatsoever can copy her look and make it look good.

This and Aztec Queen are my favorites!

Sasakiasahi (Formerly Manwomanfilm)
She is the queen of blending and makes every tutorial fun!  The only downside to her tutorials is that she doesn't speak.  It wouldn't help me that much, though- she's Japanese and I only know a few polite phrases.  She does many close-ups so her viewers can see her techniques to make up for the lack of verbal instructions.  It's amazing what she can do with a simple 88 eyeshadow palette.  She also has such a personality on the screen- she's always smiling and doing cute things while creating her looks.  Makes me smile every time- she makes makeup look even more fun than it already is!  I'm going to cheat with this video.  I couldn't choose a makeup look, so I decided to go with one of her more craft-based videos.  You can still see the skill that went into the eye makeup, though.

How adorable is this?!


Petrilude
He is a master of drag makeup and dramatic/artistic looks.  I have attempted two of his looks- Unzipped eye (From a 2006 or 2007 MAC design) and drawn-on mask- and I must say, they were probably the most fun looks I've ever done!  There's something about strange makeup that is just so enchanting, and that's practically all he does.  He has been on a drag queen kick the past few videos because he goes out in drag himself (and he's freakin' gorgeous!) and wants to share his secrets.  He has everything a drag queen-in-training would want-- from how to cover up five o' clock shadow to making a gaff to the actual makeup looks that are to die for!  Most readers who come across this probably don't need all of his tips (because they have different anatomy than he does...heh), but the makeup looks and techniques are still good.

Those who saw me at Halloween senior year of college, you should not be surprised I chose this video.


There are many other Youtubers that I follow as far as makeup goes, but these are the makeup gurus that make me do a little dance when I see their newest videos in my subscription box.  Who are your favorites?  I'm always up for new artists' visions.


<3  Martha

No comments:

Post a Comment