Friday, December 23, 2011

From Tacky to Lovely

Bleh.  What Was I thinking?  (It looks even shinier in person.)

This past summer, I bought what is possibly the tackiest lip gloss of all time:  Milani. Glitzy Glamour Gloss in Lady Like.  I have another Glitzy Glamour Gloss in a red color (sticker with the name has worn off) and it is lovely.  I thought that this gloss would be nice as well- a pretty, nude color with some shimmer.  I was dead wrong in thinking that; it looks like melted gold.  Ugh! I don't even think the women on Jersey Shore would wear this!  What a waste, or so I thought.


Worst...gloss...ever.


One of the biggest trends as displayed by the Youtube gurus is a bold lip with gold shimmer eye shadow in the middle and blended out.  I've put eye shadow on top of lipstick before to make it matte and I will tell you all, it feels so uncomfortable.  When I saw these videos popping up, I kept thinking, "I wouldn't be able to stand that.  Why can't they use a...metallic gloss!"  I couldn't believe the worst-looking gloss would make it easier to follow this cool trend.


How classic. (I'm wearing DuWop Private Red)


Red lipstick is a classic makeup staple, but if worn too often, can get a little drab.  Applying the gloss on top brings in more dimension to the lips and interest to the look as a whole.  For the gloss or eye shadow, you can have as much or as little lip area covered.  I like mine to be strong for about 1/3 of my lip area, blended for 1/3, and untouched for 1/3.  Others just want a tiny portion of the center of their lips covered.  It's all a matter of taste.  

Took me forever to catch the light so the gloss would show up.  Again, more  visible in person.


So if you ever get a makeup product that doesn't work out like you expected, try to see if it can be used in another way. Can you layer it with another product?  Can you use it on a different area of the face?  (Pink eye shadow can make the best blush.)  Play around with it- that's part of the fun with makeup!




<3  M

No comments:

Post a Comment