Saturday, August 6, 2011

Gel Moisturizers: Original vs. Cheaper vs. Natural

Let me preface this note:

I have the worst combination skin that needs special care so I take care of the oil slicks through my T-zone without irritating my cheeks and temples, which are dry and a bit sensitive.  When I was buying my first Chanel foundation (I wanted to treat myself that day.), the lady who was applying the foundation on me noticed that my temples were dry and flaking a bit.  She asked what moisturizer I used and I answered with Clinique's Dramatically Different Gel.  She pointed out it wasn't doing the full job for me and that Clinique had a moisturizer that was a step up in moisture, but soaked in just as quickly as Dramatically Different.  She went to the Clinique counter and came back with a 0.5 oz sample (Yes, that big of a sample.) of Moisture Surge.  My first application was like a tall drink of water to my face, but it didn't leave a sticky layer like most moisturizers do on my skin.  It only took a tiny bit of product to cover my face and neck as well, so that sample jar lasted about two and a half months.

I used Clinique for a few months and found out that Garnier was making a similar product called Moisture Rescue.  Since I will use a cheaper product that is as good or better than an expensive product, I had to try it.  The results of my find will be posted later in this post.

A little while later, I decided to go paraben-free in my products when I could and my beloved Clinique had methylparaben, which is not awful, but still a paraben.  I searched high and low for another gel moisturizer and found Korres Pomegranate cream-gel moisturizer


So, which gel moisturizer works best?  Well, that depends on you.  The results posted below are what happened for me, so the results for you may be different, but if you have a really oily T-zone and really dry cheeks, these results will probably be the same for you.


Let's start with Garnier's Moisture Rescue.  It comes in a 1.7 oz. jars for $5-$10 depending on where you live.  While I can use a tiny pat of moisturizer from the expensive bands, I have to pile it on with this stuff.  If you have normal skin to oily all over, this might be for you.

The Korres is a nice, natural option.  It comes in 1.25 oz. jars for $32.  It is creamier than the other two moisturizers and takes a tiny dab to cover everything.  I loved the way it applied and thought I had found my replacement moisturizer...until thirty minutes later when I still felt a sticky layer of moisture on my face.  It was too much for my skin for a day lotion, but it has made for a lovely night cream.

Clinique Moisture Surge is the best of the three I have used so far.  It comes in two amounts:  1.7 oz. for $34 or 2.5 oz. for $46.50  It is light enough that it doesn't make my skin feel icky, but potent enough to fully moisturize my skin.  This and the Korres moisturizer last for months and months!

Bottom line:  Clinique's Moisture Surge is my holy grail moisturizer- the moisturizer I will reach for more often than not (especially for day)- Korres is my night cream and moisturizer I will use in any and all hotels (dry air city!), and I have since swapped my Garnier Moisturizer away.

I hope at least some of you found this helpful and that you find your holy-grail moisturizer!

-M

No comments:

Post a Comment